On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 at 20:40, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This isn't against the rules of GSoC. However, I would caution against
> doing such a thing. Unless there are other people other than the GSoC
> student who are willing to help develop and maintain the package after
> the end of GSoC, the package has a very high risk of falling on the
> wayside.

If no one is interested in maintaining the package then it will fall
by the wayside inside or outside of the main sympy repo. I think it's
better that happens outside so we don't end up with dead modules like
categories in the main repo.

> An advantage of something being in SymPy itself is that it
> automatically gets full development support from the rest of the
> package, for instance, the tests for it are always run on Travis,
> it is included in any package-wide refactorings, and so on.

Having carried out a few package-wide pieces of work I consider this a
disadvantage. Unmaintained code imposes a disproportionate burden when
trying to improve the rest of the codebase.

I did suggest that we could test 3rd party packages in Travis. I think
that's a good idea anyway so we have a better idea of the impact of
changes on downstream users. We should try to avoid breaking
downstream projects but I don't think we should spend time improving
unmaintained code.

> Unfortunately, some of the projects that would have the most impact
> would also be the most difficult. For instance, certain improvements
> to the polys could have enormous impacts, but these require much
> deeper mathematics than most other projects, as well as familiarity
> with a large preexisting chunk of the codebase.

Maybe we can break these down into more manageable pieces of work.

--
Oscar