You can plot pretty much anything with matplotlib if you know what you
are doing. It is an extremely versatile library. The gallery shows the
sorts of things that are possible https://matplotlib.org/gallery.html.
Removing the axes from a plot should be a trivial thing to do.

The SymPy plotting functions are mainly designed as a convenience.
Generally you can also manually wrap the expression with `lambdify`
and pass it a `linspace`. They do do some nice things like adaptive
sampling which aren't trivial to do manually. Also some functions such
as the implicit plotting functions implement nontrivial algorithms.

The matplotlib developers have also expressed to me that they would
like to add function plotting directly into matplotlib. That would
make plotting a SymPy expression directly with matplotlib much simpler
without using the SymPy wrappers (it would just be a question of
calling `lambdify` first). I would be in favor of moving logic that
isn't specific to symbolics away from SymPy and into matplotlib.

Aaron Meurer