I'm swamped with grading and class preparation, but wanted to comment
briefly on the items below:

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 3:58:21 PM UTC-6 asme...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 1:44 PM Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Yes, DivideSides would make sense for unevaluated division of inequalities
>> etc.
>>
>> That is not inconsistent with using + though: We can use eq1+eq2 as a
>> shorthand for the evaluated form of AddSides(eq1, eq2). For equations
>> that would always be able to evaluate. In Mathematica this is all
>> organised around making Boolean expressions that can evaluate after
>> substitution.
>>

> We can generalize this to applying any function to equations or
> inequalities. For equations, it matters where the function either isn't
> defined (like y=0 for f(x, y) = x/y), or isn't well-defined (for example,
> square roots are multivalued). For inequalities it matters on what parts of
> the domain the function is (strictly) monotonic. Except I don't know if
> SymPy can really answer either of these questions right now. So this might
> have to remain only a theoretical idea for the time being.
>
> Aaron Meurer
>

>> Oscar
>
> I don't see a problem with returning multivalued/multiple equation
results. If I understand what you are talking about for expressions where
you have an equal sign this is working reasonably in the present
implementation. For example a simplified example of a quantum problem my
students just did:
[image: Screenshot from 2021-02-10 19-58-41.png]
The right hand size is of type `Piecewise`.
Jonathan