On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:05 PM gu...@uwosh.edu <gu...@uwosh.edu> wrote:

> I'm swamped with grading and class preparation, but wanted to comment
> briefly on the items below:
>
> On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 3:58:21 PM UTC-6 asme...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 1:44 PM Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j....@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, DivideSides would make sense for unevaluated division of
>>> inequalities etc.
>>>
>>> That is not inconsistent with using + though: We can use eq1+eq2 as a
>>> shorthand for the evaluated form of AddSides(eq1, eq2). For equations
>>> that would always be able to evaluate. In Mathematica this is all
>>> organised around making Boolean expressions that can evaluate after
>>> substitution.
>>>

>> We can generalize this to applying any function to equations or
>> inequalities. For equations, it matters where the function either isn't
>> defined (like y=0 for f(x, y) = x/y), or isn't well-defined (for example,
>> square roots are multivalued). For inequalities it matters on what parts of
>> the domain the function is (strictly) monotonic. Except I don't know if
>> SymPy can really answer either of these questions right now. So this might
>> have to remain only a theoretical idea for the time being.
>>
>> Aaron Meurer
>>

>>> Oscar
>>
>> I don't see a problem with returning multivalued/multiple equation
> results. If I understand what you are talking about for expressions where
> you have an equal sign this is working reasonably in the present
> implementation. For example a simplified example of a quantum problem my
> students just did:
> [image: Screenshot from 2021-02-10 19-58-41.png]
> The right hand size is of type `Piecewise`.

How would you handle dividing both sides of an equation by something? I
don't know if a piecewise makes sense. (a = b)/x would be "a/x = b/x if x
!= 0, ??? otherwise". What meaningful thing could the ??? be? You can
easily manipulate an equation into nonsense if you aren't careful about
this (just Google "proof that 1 = 2"). But I don't know if SymPy should try
to take responsibility to prevent it.

Aaron Meurer