On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 6:49 PM Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 at 01:28, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 3:38 PM Oscar Benjamin <
> oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> issues
> the

> versions in the header for the 1.10 and 1.11 release notes pages. Whatever
> process you are using to create the new pages is based on an old version of
> the release notes.
> >>
> >> The process is just copying the contents of the old page to the new one
> :)
> >>
> >> That's why I'd rather have the release notes in the repo itself. Much
> >> easier to automate things there and it means that these updates can
> >> happen at the same time that support for new/old versions of Python is
> >> added/removed.
> >
> > How would you envision the release notes process looking with the notes
> living in the repo itself?
>
> Currently the release note is made as an edit to the OP of a PR which
> is not intuitive and doesn't match the workflow for everything else
> where all changes are in the diff. I would like a workflow where the
> release note is part of the diff and is clearly visible to the
> reviewer who looks at the diff.
>
> There would essentially be something like a release-notes-1.10.md file
> for each release but contributors would not edit the file directly.
> Instead they add a file somewhere called something like news-12345.md
> where 12345 is the PR number. Then at release time all of those files
> are compiled into the release-notes-1.10.md file.
>
> The important change from a contributors perspective is that the
> release note is added in a file in the diff rather than in the OP of
> the PR. From a reviewers perspective the difference is that the
> release note should be reviewed as part of the diff rather than
> separately (personally I would find it easier to remember to review it
> that way).
>
> There would still be a need to have a way to say "no release note"
> which should be required explicitly because otherwise most
> contributors won't write release notes at all.

I guess I'd like to hear from contributors what they feel about the current
way with the PR description + the bot vs. this proposed way. I've
contributed to projects that use a system like this, and the SymPy system
feels a lot easier to use. You just write the note in the PR description,
which is where you should already be writing a summary of what changed.

I agree the reviewing aspect of our current system should be improved. A
lot of people just don't review the release notes at all, and people use
"NO ENTRY" more often than they should and no one calls them out on it,
even when the change is significant. I'm not sure if that would change with
your proposed system. It seems to me that we just need for reviewers to
explicitly make this something that they care about when reviewing. The
current system is also designed so that a reviewer can add a note themself
if they want to (I do this sometimes, but I don't know if anyone else ever
does).

Having the notes in the docs would indeed probably be better. The main
downside is you have to do a PR to make any kind of edit.  However, I think
it might be possible to do this even with the current system, e.g., by
copying them from the wiki at release time, or by making the bot push to
the repo instead of the wiki. We can include Markdown documents in the docs
now with MyST so that part of it isn't an issue.