On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 04:43, Jason Moore <moorepa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I really like the bot and it forces you to at least think about the release
> notes (even if all you do is write NO ENTRY). Yes, our review culture should
> be that we don't let NO ENTRY through as much, but that is a culture change.
> The bot could say, "are you really really sure this only needs a no entry??"

When exactly would the bot say that?

The problem with the bot is that it hassles you when you first open
the PR so then you either add NO ENTRY or you add a quick release
note. That only happens at the beginning of the PR lifetime though and
then the PR can evolve significantly afterwards. It might be that at
the time you write the release note you don't yet know what the final
result of the PR will be or some of its effects are not fully
understood. It might be that you start with one approach and then
after review end up with something very different. I know at the end
that I don't click merge without going through the diff but the
release note isn't in the diff so it's a separate step that needs to
be checked. So maybe when you start a PR you add NO ENTRY just to shut
the bot up or maybe you add a release note but it isn't very good
because you're not ready to write a proper note at the time the bot
hassles you.

To me the problem is not so much that some contributors overuse NO
ENTRY but rather that sometimes the notes are uninformative and don't
convey any useful information. By the time it comes round to release
the idea of going through all of them and trying to make sense of them
and improve them is just too much.

> I also think the release notes should be part of the repo, part of the docs,
> and packaged in the released source tarball.

One thing I like about doing it this way is that then before a release
you can open a PR to do the step of combining all of the release
notes. Then lots of people can review and comment on the notes and
make changes. Authors can be tagged and asked to clarify what they
really mean by their release note. That means we have a second stage
of release note review that focuses only on the notes themselves and
that can also look at the collection of all notes together.

> Having the best of both worlds would be nice. I think scipy or some of the
> other big python projects do things as Oscar suggests, have a single file per
> PR that is merged together.

In general I would prefer to have everything in the repo and I think
that means that the release notes have to be in the PR somehow. The
single file approach is mainly just to avoid merge conflicts.

--
Oscar