On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 23:02 +1200, Jane Atkinson wrote:
> I solved the earlier problem by completely removing the entire
> syncevolution config folder, doing a complete removal and reinstall of
> syncevolution-bundle (ensuring fresh config files) and setting up again.
>
> The only problem now is duplication of the first line in memos when
> synced to a phone via caldav.
>
> I've dug out my old 6120c phone and I'm using this for testing the
> caldav sync. As far as I know, it uses the same versions of calendar
> etc as the E63.
>
> I added new note on E-63:
>
> New note from e63
> Start a new line.
>
> Synced with server, via EDS. On viewing it in Evolution, the first
> line also forms the description. When synced with the 6120c, this
> entry shows up in the log:
>
> > SUMMARY:New note from e63 DESCRIPTION:New note from e63\nStar t a
> > new line.
>
> On the 6120c, the memo looks like this:
>
> New note from e63
> New note from e63
> Start a new line.
>
> I've not had this problem in the past with syncing with EDS - if the
> first line is the same as the description, it seems to be ignored when
> syncing.
>
> I suppose this may not be a problem once I'm working exclusively with
> caldav, but it would mean going back and editing all existing memos
> and removing duplicate lines.

The root cause of the problem is the mapping between SUMMARY+DESCRIPTION
and a single chunk of plain text. The EDS backend had some logic which
avoided duplicating lines in perpetuity during round-trip syncs, but I
think it did not strip the first line of incoming plain text. The
reasoning was that it is not certain that the first line makes sense
separately.

The CalDAV VJOURNAL support does this differently, in the Synthesis
engine. What seems to be missing there currently is the "when encoding
as plain text, ignore summary if the same as first line" part. I'll
check how I can add that back.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.