Hi again, Chris
   
  And thanks again.
   
  I used the link you gave me, resubmitted my blog, and this time I read the 
small print. My blog hadn't been accepted and it wasn't accepted this time 
either. So I entered my FeedBurner link instead of my Blog address and this 
time it was accepted! And to prove it I received a Syndic8 feed ID. Great!
   
  The question for Syndic8 is: Why did it reject my Blog site URL
  http://coxsoft.blogspot.com/ 
  and accept my FeedBurner URL
  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CoxsoftArtBlog ?
   
  And why should we need FeedBurner to get on to Syndic8?
   
  Thanks again, Chris.
   
  Ian
  
Chris Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Ian,

Perhaps that is a failing of the site documentation (but to be honest, I
haven't looked for it).
All you need to do submit your site to syndic8 is :

1. Suggest it (which involves entering the URL of your RSS File).
(http://www.syndic8.com/suggest_start.php - requires registration)
2. Email this list and say here is the URL of my RSS file. (requires no
registration, but an email with a smile)

The actualy process of getting your site information into Syndic8 is done by
the Syndic8 servers themselves.
It reads your RSS file and takes the relevant information from it and
populates its database.
A reviewer then validates the information and then it becomes available in
the directory.

Now that is the simple version of the process and there is a lot more
involved, but NOT from the submission point.

As to why do you need to use Lat/Long position data? Well you don't.  If it
is not within your RSS file, then that is ok.
But take Samanthas website as an example.  It provides a service, so for
this type of website it makes sense to have lat and long information
somewhere.

Take the information from my own site:
<meta name="ICBM" content="51.3285,-1.0695">
<meta name="DC.title" content="Representative Expression - Blog by Chris
Wright">

Why would a website want to put that in?  Well what if I am offering a
window cleaning service from my website?
Why would someone in Fort Worth Texas searching an online directory be
interested in visiting my site when I am offering a window cleaning service
within 10 miles of my business ?

By including the Lat/Long info as part of my feed/site information I give
the directories more to search with.

Now when someone searchs for Windows Cleaners Near Reading UK, it can even
give them my exact location and if you Google Map it, it gives you
directions.

So the more information you providing in your meta tags/ RSS fields (RDF
??), the better.

Regards

Chris






  _____  

From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Ian Cox
Sent: 23 January 2006 11:21
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [syndic8] RSS and site traffic


Hi, David
  I agree with Samantha and Scott. "Overwhelming" is a good choice of word
to describe the instructions I found in Syndic8, and I'm not a beginner.
I've programmed in machine code and last year wrote my website in 3.1 HTML
(very much like old BASIC).
  For a start, where's the syndicate-my-website button? Okay, maybe you
can't make it that simple, but why on earth do we need to use latitude and
longtitude to locate London, England, UK for my feed? I don't use a sextant
to get around the web.
  Some of the information Syndic8 wanted was impossible to find, so I gave
up and defected to FeedBurner, which does 90% of the work for you. Whether
FeedBurner is actually syndicating my blog or merely giving visitors a
choice of which newsfeed to use (a glorified add-to-my-favourites) I haven't
figured out yet. But it did add my blog to my My Yahoo account to keep me
abreast of what I'm doing on my blog. I must add a hit counter to find out
if I have any visitors!

David McInnis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Sam,

First, like anything else on the Web, RSS will not do much for you in  
terms of traffic unless it has good and useful content behind it.

Secondly, Syndic8 is a great way to get started.  This is a place to  
register your feed so that others can find it and include it in their  
sites / news readers.

David

On Jan 18, 2006, at 12:00 PM, samantha coe wrote:

> Hello, I am really new to everything to do with web sites generally  
> and
> I am searching for the best ways to draw traffic to my site. How will
> RSS and syndication help. I don't really understand how others on the
> web will know about my feeds if I make them.
> sam
>
>
>
>
>
>
> If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (this will tell it to stop sending you mail)
>
> To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE:
> http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
> (here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)
>
> To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http:// 
> www.syndic8.com/
>
>
> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>
>  Visit your group "syndic8" on the web.
>
>  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
>
>



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit
http://www.syndic8.com/ 


    
---------------------------------
  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS 

    
    Visit your group "syndic8" on the web.
    
    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    
    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. 

    
---------------------------------
  

  


            
---------------------------------
Win a BlackBerry device from O2 with Yahoo!. Enter now.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit
http://www.syndic8.com/ 



  _____  

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS 


      
*      Visit your group "syndic8 <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8> "
on the web.
  

*      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
  

*      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> . 


  _____  




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 


    
---------------------------------
  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS 

    
    Visit your group "syndic8" on the web.
    
    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    
    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. 

    
---------------------------------
  

  


                
---------------------------------
Yahoo! Messenger  NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to