The BEEP protocol looks like it has all the right features (and then
some!).  But as Marshall pointed out, the syslog over BEEP doesn't
need all the flexibility and power of every single BEEP feature.

>From our standpoint, the problem has never been BEEP, its the
complicated and oftimes buggy (or overly paternalistic) libraries.

A BEEPLite (TM) :-) library that looked a *lot* like "sockets" and
perhaps "sub-sockets" without requiring threads and some other
heavyweight stuff that isn't needed for syslog, would make this whole
discussion of "to BEEP or not to BEEP", moot.

Once you start adding authentication, integrity and security features,
you're going to end up with something just as complicated as BEEP, as
far as I can tell.

And if I don't get at least client authentication, integrity and
privacy features, why go to a new syslog protocol?

--tep