----- Original Message -----
From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Miao Fuyou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 10:12 AM
Subject: RE: [Syslog] Updated Syslog-tls Document

Was that private? I thought it was on-list. Anyhow... I concur with your
initial recommendation of removing the version number from the transport
header. The point at that time was that a version in transport specs is
unusual. If there is need to revise a transport header, a new port is
assigend. Sure, ports are a scarce ressource, but how likely is an
incompatible change to the transport header?

<tp>
Ports may or may not be scarce but they are expensive.  Introduce a new one and
 - anyone with firewall
 - anyone with an application level gateway
 - anyone with a packet filtering router
has to go out and change each and every box to reflect the new assignment, a
slow and costly process.  This cost is often ignored by protocol designers.

As to header change, the elephant in the room is the IPR hanging over this work
which we can do no more about except wait to see what materialises; it could
result in a change.

Tom Petch
<snip>