So, I shouldn't have asked my question and tom shouldn't have replied:
the answer is in the charter.

   The threats that this WG will primarily address are modification,
   disclosure, and masquerading. A secondary threat is message stream
   modification. Threats that will not be addressed by this WG are DoS
   and
   traffic analysis.

I knew there was a good reason I asked you guys to come up with that
text before we started:-)

So, Tom's proposal to focus on data origin authentication as the
primary attack is out of charter.

Also, the current TLS document seems to have inconsistent terminology
with the charter.  The charter seems to describe message stream
modification as an end-to-end property solved by syslog-sign, while
integrity is a hop-by-hop property.

--Sam