Hi,

I think there are other things to consider to decide SHOULD or MUST an
authentication::

1, From deployment perspective, it is not very difficult to enable server
authentication because the population of servers is usually not as many as
that of clients, the certificates are only required to be created for the
server rather than plenty of clients: printers, routers and hosts. So, I
think server authentication is not a major reason for the operator to not
deploy TLS. However, client authentication is highly possible the reason
because the considerable effort for device certificate deployment.

2, If no authentication exists, it is possible for an adversary to launch a
MITM attack when TLS connection initializes, it talks with server pretending
to be client and client to server. In this case, no confidentiality and
integrity is conserved.

So, I would like server authenticaiton to be a MUST rather than SHOULD. For
client authentication, it may be SHOULD, even MAY.

Thanks,
Miao