    Eliot> Sam, I got involved recently because both chairs asked me
    Eliot> to submit a draft to revise 3195 to reflect the work of
    Eliot> -protocol-19.  I have done so.  And so perhaps you can help
    Eliot> me.

I'll try!

    Eliot> The charter calls for a secure transport.  The milestones
    Eliot> say TLS (something that could easily be changed without
    Eliot> community review, mind you).

Hmm.  I thought that was in the text of the charter, but you're
correct that it is not.  It was circulated to the community though
with the charter text.  I agree it would not require community review
to change, although it would be revisiting a WG decision.

    Eliot> A reasonable person could
    Eliot> believe that perhaps we might actually *build* on the work
    Eliot> that was already done with SYSLOG/BEEP/TLS.  As I'm
    Eliot> relatively new to the party, I'll accept a pointer to the
    Eliot> logic of the choice.  There being an IPR claim against the
    Eliot> new work, and the fact that multiple interoperable
    Eliot> implementations of a proposed standard that could easily go
    Eliot> to draft exist, I am hoping that pointer explains why this
    Eliot> group is has put aside both interoperability and basic
    Eliot> engineering principles of reuse.

I'd recommend asking the chairs here.  It's there job to call
consensus and to the extent that there is consensus on reasons for
decisions (not just the decisions themselves) to be able to explain
that.

I think that the implementers said they would implement syslog-tls,
but not something 3195-based.  But I was not heavily involved in that
discussion other than to make sure it took place.