Hi,

[speaking as co-chair]

Rainer has provided the links to the email discussions of this topic.

>From my point of view this was pretty straightforward. We have
implementers very involved in this WG, and the implementers expressed
a strong interest in TLS. They did not express a strong interest in
BEEP. The interest in TLS was so strong, it withstood the challenge of
overcoming an IPR disclosure and was preferred over proposals for
using SSH or DTLS instead.

I think there is a fallacy involved in claiming this is a reinvention
of the wheel. BEEP offers certain functionality **in addition** to the
functionality provided by using TLS. The WG decided the functionality
provided by TLS is important; the additional functionality provided by
having a BEEP layer between syslog and TLS is just not as important to
most users, and it is seen as unnecessary complexity for most syslog
usages.

The WG consensus was very clear that TLS alone was preferred over
BEEP/TLS.

As co-chair, I struggle with whether there is enough interest in BEEP
to justify doing 3195bis rather than just moving 3195 to experimental
or historic. I see much less WG consensus on the importance of
updating 3195. The one segment of the syslog industry that has shown
an interest in 3195 is the IHE, an organization whose mission is to
promote the adoption of standards for the healthcare industry.
According to comments posted to the syslog WG, they have seen little
actual deployment of 3195 despite their efforts to promote it.

So if we are going to question whether one or the other solution
should be dropped, it is pretty clear to me as co-chair which one
should go.

I have deliberately NOT looked to see if WG consensus is to drop 3195
because the dialogue about whether 3195 is in use is still ongoing,
and 3195bis is not yet part of our charter.

David Harrington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]