Getting WAY off topic here but if there would have been no disagreement
about slavery, there likely would have been no war. To the politicians,
it was all about slavery but there is no way they would have been able
to convince the citizenry to fight on that basis. There is no question
however that the slavery issue was an economic issue to most not a moral
one-on both sides.