VERY few average people consume enough caffeine to reach the banned level on
a regular basis.  And certainly people who do consume that much have
potential health effects.

And doctors using steriods are aware of the potential side effects - it's a
question of whether the risks of taking outweigh the benefits of taking.
Nearly all steroids have negative side effects.  Steroid protocols certainly
wouldn't make healthier athletes unless the athletes were suffering from one
of the indications for which they would have been prescribed steriods.  I
know several people who's doctors have them taking steroids because while
the steroids will likely kill them, the deficiency being addressed by the
steriods would kill them more quickly.

If you don't believe that we should be regulating athletes' decisions on
what kind of health they are willing to give up for performance, that's a
valid position, albeit one I disagree with.  If you believe that there are
banned substances that don't have health risks, there is some evidence to
support you, although personally I tend to suspect that much of the over-the
counter stuff - banned or otherwise - is still detrimental.  But don't start
minimizing the health risks - there absolutely are substantial health risks
to prolonged use of most banned substances.

Life is not black and white and neither is this issue.  I look at the big
picture and see the combination of health risks and fair play and conclude
that we should continue to ban drugs.  It's not using one to justify the
other, it's taking both into consideration.  That is my opinion, but I'm
probably not going to convince someone who really believes otherwise. "Moral
objections" are inherently subjective, regardless of what a dogmatic
minority would have us believe.  Yes, the decisions about whether and what
to ban are arbitrary - as are many other things related to human endeavors.
As are rules about the weight of the javelin, the height of the hurdles,
false starts, etc.  It's a matter of what the majority of rulesmakers agree
on, and while some of it is based on concrete stuff, it certainly isn't all
based on that.

- Ed