>In the marathon you must have  muscles and connective tissue strong enough
to handle the pounding. Larger
> muscles and connective tissue will be stronger.

Makes sense - and ultrarunners are bigger still, although the sample size
for ultrarunners is so small that I don't think we can make many conclusions
about optimum body types from the existing runners.

> You also use more fat as  fuel during a marathon than any other event. So
in the marathon you'd likely
> have larger mass due to more muscle and fat stores but probably due more
to  more muscle than fat. Even at a very low body fat >you'd have enough to
go a  long way. A 1% increase in body fat of a 130 lb runner would be 1.3lbs
of
> fat, or about 4700 calories. So you wouldn't have a large difference in %
body fat between marathoners and other distance runners.

You wouldn't have any real difference there since there is far more fat in
the scrawniest runner than needed to do a marathon.

- Ed Parrot