At 06:57 PM 10/16/2003 +0000, alan tobin wrote:
"And I say that this is a public forum where if you have suspicions, you either need to keep them to yourself or put forward substantial evidence in support."

Public forum...free speech...I can pretty well say anything I want regardless of substantial evidence.

Libel is not an unrestricted freedom. Nor is yelling "fire" when it is unwarranted. Also, if you've paid attention, speech on this listserver is restricted because it uses the University of Oregon servers.

And even so, a productive forum has civil discourse. Yes, you're protected to say all sorts of idiotic things, but expect to be slapped down in return, including being told your speech is undecorous.

RMc

Alan

From: Richard McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "alan tobin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: t-and-f: rutto
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:39:18 -0700

And I say that this is a public forum where if you have suspicions, you either need to keep them to yourself or put forward substantial evidence in support. When your evidence is clearly refuted, if this is going to be a discussion forum rather than an assertion forum, you need to accept that refutation and withdraw your public statements of suspicion.

As for your blanket suspicions, again they simply undermine interest in the sport. Fans are not interested in a sport where it's assumed that many athletes are breaking the rules. If it's factually known that the majority of athletes are using drugs and the sport decides to accept that as the norm and is not breaking the rules, then I think that fans will accept that as "leveling the playing field."

RMc