>I hope Stones, Lewis and company were watching.  Granted the coverage was
>not live, but I think Larry Rowson did an excellent job on commentary on the
>ESPN broadcast.  Why is he not working for the networks?  It's a long time
>since I've heard an American commentator display such knowledge and analysis
>of the sport. Or is it just  a case of Rowson appearing more impressive due
>to over-exposure to the NBC crew over the last week?

I usually like Larry's commentary, but he completely befuddled me during
the 5K today when he went into this explanation about elite distance
runners being shorter and lighter than they were a generation ago, and
that's why Americans can't compete- because the average American is
getting taller, not shorter, and there is a relatively small pool of
short people in America.

I agree that we don't see too many distance or middle distance runners these
days with the build of a Steve Scott or a John Walker, but the 'small
pool of short people' ? - come on!

Am I the only one who was blown away by the 'short people' theory?

RT