Justin says:

<<<<<<
When we can show that the record is improving by a
smaller margin with each succeeding 20 yr period, we'll be able to make some
intelligent predictions (rather than simple assertions, which is all you've
managed so far).

You can make the WR's say whatever you want them too ... if you choose the
years correctly and only look at large 20 year blocks.

I said that I believe that a 50 second improvement in the seasonal-best
level of the 10k over 15 years was due to more than more Africans running.
By 1983, 2 guys had broken 27:24 and by 1998 two guys had broken 26:29.

Looking more carefully at the progression of the WR (every 10 years from the
last one set):

98  26:22  (51 seconds/10 yrs - 2.04 secs a lap)

88  27:13  (9  seconds/10 yrs -  .36 secs a lap)
78  27:22  (17 seconds/10 yrs -  .68 secs a lap)
68  27:39  (50 seconds/10 yrs - 2.00 secs a lap)
58  28:30
48  ???

You say:
"Clearly, as we reach the point of
maximum potential, we will see diminishing returns. As was elegantly shown
to us all, there is no evidence of diminishing returns in the event you
chose to highlight, the 10k."

Based on the WR progression, was the world seeing DIMINISHING RETURNS from
1955 to 1988, or not?  Clearly it was.  Based on the progression over the
very long term ( the last 50 years ) has the world seen an unexpected rate
of improvement of the 10km WR from 1988 to 1998?

Clearly we have.

What does that prove about drug use?  Nothing at all.  But, those who say we
have been improving 60 seconds every 20 years, and we should expect that to
continue until we reach the "limits" of endurance, whether they are 26:20,
25:20 or 24:20 ... are just plain wrong.

We had already reached the point of diminishing returns by 1980.

By 1983 the top-ten men in history were all within EIGHT seconds.  They
ranged from 27:22.4 to 27:30.x.  Clearly, the world was near the limits of
what was possible for the time.  Men from many nations had run 27:30 ... two
Kenyans, two Portuguese, two East Germans, two Americans, two Englishmen, a
Finn.

Since the late 1980's the WR has improved by close to the same margin that
used to separate the top-ten ALL-TIME:

27:13
27:08
27:07
26:58
26:53
26:43
26:31
26:27
26:22

What does that prove about drug use?  Nothing at all.  But, it is not true
to say that the WR has advanced at about the rate the world should expect,
based on our knowledge of the last 50 years.

Based on World experience over 1950-1990 ... you would expect the WR now to
be 27:05 or slower.

I am not saying that is the limit of human performance in 2000 ... just that
if you had never seen the dramatic escalation from 1992-1998 ... but were
presented with the WR progression of the previous 40 years, you WOULD NOT be
expecting the WR to be 26:22.

What does that prove about drug use?  Nothing at all.