When linear extrapolation is extended over large ranges
the choice of dependent variable becomes important.  In the
case of running records, plotting race time vs calendar
time eventually produces meaningless results as witness
below.  It is better to take average speed as the dependent
variable.  Then the achievement of zero elapsed time is
infinitely far off.  Before anyone "breaks 00:00:00", the
sun will expand to include the earths orbit, and the earth
will spiral inward from the frictional drag, causing great
heating and the obliteration of all life forms.  Further
predictions about the improvement of running records will
be moot.

                                    Dave Carey