The Clown prince opined:

Get serious, our "big shoe deals, appearance fees, and endorsements contracts are based on performance,
not fan participation.  The fans buy Nike, Gatorade because of Michael Jordon,  I can't say I have seen Mo in any of those commercials, and track isn't on TV that often, thus why FANS complain, so Maurice would still get his money.

This seals it for me ... proof that some of the people most involved in track at the highest levels (the athletes) don't have an IDEA ONE what is really happening in the business of track.

Your (as in YOU: Jon Drummond) contracts have clauses with "performance bonuses" in them if you are fortunate ... or really GOOD.  But, if there are NO FANS ... then there are no fans to buy TAFNews, no ad space purchased in the mag, no buyers of $120 track spikes, and no tickets/food and hotel space sold at meets ...and no money for your corporate sponsor to PAY THAT PERFORMANCE BONUS.

Without, as you say, "fan participation".  ... NO ... you are NOT GOING TO BE PAID anymore ... The reason that someone like Maurice makes as much as he does is because of EURO-PEAN FANS.  Lose them (like you are steadily losing the Americans) and you wouldn't have money for bus fare home.

No FANS = no tickets at Euro meets
No FANS = no advertising $$ at the meets
No FANS = no advertising $$ during the telecast of the meet
No FANS = no shoe and kit exposure to MILLIONS of fans watching throughout the world.
No FANS = no promotional tie-ins with other Multi-million dollar products

Money makes the track world go 'round ... not Gatorade ... but GATORADE DOLLARS.

And who is Michael Jordon?   Is he France's answer to America's Michael Jor-DAN?  Don't say typos happen ... the "A" to the "O" is  a lot of real estate.

Best way to boost your perceived IQ:

CHOOSE :          Tools/Options/Spelling/
Check the "Always check spelling before sending" BOX.