Brian wrote:

>A lesson followed for the young mantis:
>
>Miyagi: MOST IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER DANIEL-SAN: Race only about who win, and
>how fast time. Not about start.
>
>Daniel: Yeah... but if I really studied the starter and could anti...
>
>Miyagi: Uht, UHHT! Only practice REACTING to starter. Most important
>thing.
>
>Daniel: But, Mr. Miyagi, if I cleanly anticipate the gun, I could get .05
>to .08 on the fiel...
>
>Miyagi: UHT, UHHT! Race begin when gun go off ... not before. Grasshopper
>win race by REACTING to GUN, accelerate better than others, reach highest
>top speed, and hold speed longest.
>
>Daniel: But, Mr.. Miyagi, the guys in the All-Valley Edmonton Tournament
>are tough. Practicing to learn the rhythm of a starter to get out before
>everyone else could maybe get me through to the finals for the second tim...
>
>Miyagi: UHHHT, UHHHTT! Rocket start only get Daniel-san through first five
>meters of race ... 95 meters of race left in exhibition! Maybe Daniel-san
>concentrate on making up perceived disadvantage to better starters by
>working on all 100 meters of exhibition. Not just FIRST five! Too much room
>for DQ, if Daniel-san put all eggs in "anticipation" basket. Daniel-san
>work to get great start, nine out of ten times, NOT GREATEST-EVER start one
>out of ten times ... this alway make winner over many, many year exhibition.
>

>Daniel: But, Mr.. Miyagi, how am I going to beat the guys who are ACTUALLY
>faster than me?
>
>Miyagi: Daniel-san , NOT GOING TO BEAT FASTER RACERS! Fastest runner most
>time win exhibition, and get name on tournament cup most times over life ...
>
>Daniel: But, Mr.. Miyagi ...
>
>Miyagi: UUHHPT! Daniel-san ... try Miyagi way first and see what happen.
>
>Daniel: But, Mr.. Miyagi ..
>
>Miyagi: UUHHPT! Daniel-san! Miyagi's way work too well too argue point all
>day. Should be spending time TRAIN! Miyagi way how Grasshopper Lewis
>become Master Lewis. Grasshopper Lewis face Rocket-starting Mantis Warrior
>from Northern Carribean Monastery. Sometime place 2nd. Still Grasshopper
>Lewis keep eye on prize .. alway look EYES! Master Lewis triumph over
>almost all Masters in many exhibition. Not worry about racing before gun go
>off... worry about who first across finish line, NOT who first across
>starting line.
>

>Daniel: Mr. Miyagi, do you think they will institute the NFS rule before
>the All-Valley Edmonton tournament?
>
>Miyagi: No. Too much at stake in Exhibition for fan. Only eight runner on
>track, Edmonton Exhibition need all grasshopper at tournament to be success.
>All Exhibition need all eight runner to be success. Without Master Greene
>in Exhibition, evil monks at IAAF feel wrath of powerful HSI Monastery.
>
>No. Always two fall start allowed for grasshopper. Even one who can REACT
>GUN in .1001 second.
>
>Now, back to important bisniss of Tournament. Training. Always training.

 Cute story ... But even in the martial arts each grasshopper learns that he has to find the "system" that works best for him/her !!! What works for grashopper Lewis is not necessarily the same system that works best for grasshopper Cason or grasshopper Drummond ... This example worked well for grasshopper Lewis because he had long limbs and overall Speed = Rate (leg turnonver) X Distance (stride length) .. In reality grasshopper Lewis was never built/intended to be a fast starter so Miyagi worked on grasshopper Lewis' best attributes .. Once grasshopper Christie learned to better his start to combine with his strength HE became master over grasshopper Lewis ... Each one must work to his/her own strengths ... And for some the start is most important ... All cannot rely on same method, system or training becasue all are not the same ... Ask Michael Johnson ... If a very stiff Miyagi, as he has been portrayed, had been in charge of teaching MJ he would have had tolea! ve the sport before he got going because he was NEVER going ot fit into ANY classic sprinters mold ... And yet HE became totally dominant over grasshopper Lewis in the event that Lewis always swore he would break the world record in - the 200 meters ... And how did he do that ??? By mastering the start (first half) of the race !!!!!!!!

Conway Hill