Having watched the best collegians operate with the no false start rule, I
have to say that, at least for me, their skills and abilities are even more
impressive under that compunction.  Knowing that if someone goes early, that person
will be eliminated, creates great drama. I know that these athletes are having to assume
near perfect stillness and then with lightning reflexes unleash maximum velocity
at the sound of the gun. The mental control demonstrated is impressive. For me,
the sprint beomes more compelling.

I believe that great sprinters will shine all the more brightly with a no false
start rule. Will some great sprinter be eliminated by a false start at some major
meet?  Probably so.  But it will be a rare event.  The great sprinter will master competing
under the no false start rule, because that is what champions do - they maximize themselves
under the conditions given.

If the collegians were reporting that such a rule makes competing very difficult, I
would be against such a rule for open athletes.  But I don't hear that from them.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Brian brings up a common misconception in this debate.  Let's all be clear,
EVERYONE, and I mean ALL, are trying to react as fast as possible.  That
includes anticipating the starter.  The advantaged is gained by the person
who did it the best, which is what competition and racing is all about!  The
premise of cheating is based upon the conclusion that someone is gaining an
unfair advantage.  When in fact no one is gaining an UNFAIR advantage because
they all are attempting to do the same thing.

DGS
Faith is a road seldom traveled