Brian wrote:

>I can't win, so I am changing my name to: CCLANFS R. McEwen.

>Pronounced: Clan-fiss Ahr Mac-yew-ehn.
>
>Stands for: Couldn't Care Less About No False Start Rule.
>
>It was a JOKE, Conway. Since I am apparently the only evil-incarnate on the
>list I was making a little joke.
>
>If the Rule really is going into effect, shouldn't the ones among us who
>oppose it put effort into stopping it? Instead of debating how fast we
>could react to the gun, or a youth hockey test, or how corrupt judges are or
>some such stuff ... put your feelings in writing and tell someone who is
>making the decision.
>
>Write your senator or congressman or something, man. Really it was just a
>joke about sprinting. I will say though, that the sprints are won by
>sprinting, not starting. The Greek guy 200m winner (Kenteris? Kederis?)
>proved that.
>
>Sure, if you are both 9.90 guys on your average day at your peak, you need a
>great start to be the one to run 9.88 and beat the other 9.90 guys. Nothing
>too crazy about that. But, you can get a great start most of the time by
>reacting.
>
>I even said I don't like NFS. Conway, start to give me a break.

Not trying to pick on you Brian ... Just trying to get you to understand that the start is more important than you seem to think it is ... Not that it is THE race ... But for some it is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the race ... Just as for some the finish is the most important part ...

To relate it to distance running, for some the penultimate lap is not important at all ... Because they know that they have the speed to contend over the final lap ... However for others it is important that they make their move 600 meters or even 800 meters out in order to have a chance against the big kickers ... Is no different in the sprints - which are under an even greater time crunch if you will ... The shorter sprinter that doesn't have the luxury of being able to open his stride and relax the same as a taller sprinter, is at the mercy of reaction, start, and trying to get ahead and hold off the fast finisher just as the distance runner who makes his move with 600 meters is trying to do ...

I doubt you would say that extra early 200 meters for the distance runner is not a major part of HIS race would you ??? No because in many cases it is what determines the winner from the loser ... The same for the start of the 100 (and in some cases the 200) ... In races decided often by hundreths of a second you have ot try to shave them off where you can .. For some it is at the finish of the race ... For others the middle .. And for still others it is at the start ...

That is why sprinters work on all phases during training ... To try to get better at them all ... And as far as "reacting" goes, you have ot be "anticipating" that something is going to occur in order to react to it optimally ... If you just sit there "waiting" to hear something you will get left every time ... You must be anticipating the occurance ... That makes for a very fine line ... Which is why I am totally against NFS ..

Conway Hill