Tell me Darrel, I want to agree with you but I seem to be coming back to the same question. Why wouldn't MJ be running our National Championships if he is so interested in "promoting our sport"? THAT, it seems to me, would be the place to do it? No? It's not as though the lap counters in Eugene***** will mess up the 400. They're good, REALLY good.

malmo

****Having legal take-off boards in the long jump pit is another matter. I wouldn't count on that.

 -----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 10:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Promotion of nationals on the backs of the stars...

In a message dated 05/10/2001 6:47:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

'...[promoting] the national championships on the backs of stars...' is
disingenuous.

No, it is not.  It is the truth.  The marketing department has decided that
they need the stars there to help promote the event.  I actually have no
problem with that because there are other ways to get them involved.  Making
a rule that has no basis in competition is not the way to go.  MJ and Maurice
would have been there anyway.
And maybe everyone is missing the point.  He does not have to "compete," all
he has to do is participate in one event.  That means he can jog a lap waving
to the fans, and viola, he has his wild card.  That could be accomplished
with some personal appearance obligations.  And folks, no matter how much you
want to knock it, all of this is being required for free.
As to your point about others losing their spots, spare me the noise.  Go
talk to Curtis Johnson, and Danny McCray.  Curtis took second at the trials,
and ran on the two fastest 4x100 of the year before he was arbitrarily kicked
off the team in Sydney.  Danny spent a month in Sydney only to be supplanted
by Angelo Taylor.  Taking spots is the least of my concerns about fairness in
these relay issues.

DGS
Faith is a road seldom traveled
Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus,
the author and finisher of our faith" Hebrews 12: 1-2