From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 12:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Promotion of nationals on the backs of the stars...

In a message dated 05/13/2001 5:52:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

In a message dated 5/10/01 10:03:33 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Why wouldn't MJ be running our National Championships if he
>is so interested in "promoting our sport"?

Touche!

Jim Gerweck
Running Times

Herein lies the problem with this whole issue.
Promoting the sport does not only include running.  We continually deride
those athletes do not do anything else except run.  Here is a chance to
employ these athletes for other causes, other forms of pr.  All the casual
fan gets is performance, here was a chance to give the people the athlete up
front and personal.
Require those with wild cards to do broadcast, clinics, public appearances,
things that define them as people.  Instead of fluff pieces here is the
chance to talk directly to these athletes.
That is what I am talking about.  Requiring them to participate is
thoughtless, and unimaginative.  That does not require a marketing degree,
all that requires is unchecked authority.

DGS
Faith is a road seldom traveled
Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus,
the author and finisher of our faith" Hebrews 12: 1-2