I think this is where this technology holds the most promise.  Wouldn't it be great to
know the team
scoring during an XC race and to see how it is developing? Or to see the early splits?
 May be have
the mats at every 800m-1/2M point.

Some things to consider with the chip:  A runner's finish/placing is determined by the
torso, not
the foot or ankle (nor the head.)

A couple scenarios to consider with the transponder on one foot: A bunch finish with
several
finishers leaning. A runner could have his torso cross first but have the transponder
on his back
leg and lose several places.

Or, several runners are about to cross the finish line and the 6-2 runner lifts his
foot across the
line a head of the torso of other runners.

At this year's NCAA XC nationals: Colorado 90, Stanford 91. So these are legitament
scenarios that
need to be addressed. That is why the cameras and humans pulling tags won't be going
away for a while.

I think the chip has a great purpose in large road races where it takes some runners
several minutes
to cross the start line.  However, somethings still have to be worked out for cross
country races if
it is to be used as the official timing/scoring system. One being all the transponders
have to start
with the gun (not a mat that has to be crossed at the start like in a road race.)
Also, maybe the
placing of the chip should be on the torso and not on a shoe. I believe Indiana H.S.
used chips at
the state meet and I think NCAA D2 or 3 used it.  Illinois high schools are going to
it in 2002.
Illinois used to use a narrow chute at the finish (only one person at a time across
the finish
line), but might be going to a wide-mouth chute in 2002. Plans are for eight cameras
and FinishLynx
timing along with the chips.