I don't know what his motivation is, but your argument
makes sense. Losing out to Rogge as IOC Chief and then
being appointed Chairman of the WADA as consolation
had to be a major step down. He's probably angling for
something higher on the food chain and it doesn't hurt
to beat up on the good ol' US of A.

Maybe he cut a deal with Masback to let him walk all
over the USATF during the Winter Olympics. They sure
are making it easy for Pound to look good.