On today's USATF teleconference, Tim Montgomery had this remark regarding his fast
reaction time (I
think Walt asked this question.)

http://usatf.org/news/showRelease.asp?article=/news/releases/2002-09-17.xml

Q: Although you had a tremendous reaction time in Paris, you said you didn’t really
have a good
start. Could you explain that?

A: Power forward is movement forward, but my power came upward so the power went up in
the air.
That’s why (Dwain) Chambers was with me and the field was with me at 10 and 20 meters.

"You can have a reaction but the reaction is just movement. It depends on movement up
or down, but
my movement wasn’t forward."

... So it helped me, but it didn’t help me. Other than the pull-up, I had the perfect
race. I did
not have a slow down at any part of the race. The race actually got faster coming in
and that’s hard
for a lot of sprinters to do. That’s the reason the world record went. I didn’t have
any slow
movement during the race. It was just a steady hard run.