From: "Mike Prizy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Track List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 6:11 PM
Subject: t-and-f: Montgomery on reaction time

On today's USATF teleconference, Tim Montgomery had this remark regarding
his fast reaction time (I
think Walt asked this question.)

http://usatf.org/news/showRelease.asp?article=/news/releases/2002-09-17.xml

Q: Although you had a tremendous reaction time in Paris, you said you didn't
really have a good
start. Could you explain that?

A: Power forward is movement forward, but my power came upward so the power
went up in the air.
That's why (Dwain) Chambers was with me and the field was with me at 10 and
20 meters. ...

"You can have a reaction but the reaction is just movement. It depends on
movement up or down, but
my movement wasn't forward."

... So it helped me, but it didn't help me. Other than the pull-up, I had
the perfect race. I did
not have a slow down at any part of the race. The race actually got faster
coming in and that's hard
for a lot of sprinters to do. That's the reason the world record went. I
didn't have any slow
movement during the race. It was just a steady hard run.