I'm not a coach of world-class sprinters, so I agree with you that his start looked
pretty damn good
to me. However, according to Tim Montgomery, he said that not only Trevor Graham, but
also John
Smith commented on his less-than-perfect start:

Q: What can you do to improve your record setting performance?

A: At the start, instead of taking my hand and sweeping the track forward, I kinda
like pulled it up
and then took off running. My coach (Trevor Graham) saw it, and John Smith (Maurice
Greene’s coach)
saw it, and he was like ‘I’m glad it happened or you could’ve run 9.74 today.’