>You mean the disappearance of meaningful collegiate competition
>and the rise of day-long time trial meets that no one wants to
>watch?

I assume you mean NCAA meets chasing meaningless provisional
qualifiers.
Give me the best individuals of the world in Zurich chasing world records, with
rabbits in every race (something that some people deride as 'time trials') and I'll
tune in at 3am every time.
As far as 'meaningful collegiate competition', I have to admit that I no longer care
less whether Florida State beats Florida
or UCLA beats USC.
It's totally an individual sport for me, and team scores are something that is
superimposed on the top of it for nothing more than provincial bragging rights.
That's just the way it is, and I'm not really dissatisfied with it that way.

RT