From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 10:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RE: t-and-f: can I come back now? It depends...what do you
think of Milli Vanilli?

Randy Treadway wrote:

>You mean the disappearance of meaningful collegiate competition
>and the rise of day-long time trial meets that no one wants to
>watch?

I assume you mean NCAA meets chasing meaningless provisional
qualifiers.
Give me the best individuals of the world in Zurich chasing world records,
with rabbits in every race (something that some people deride as 'time
trials') and I'll tune in at 3am every time.
As far as 'meaningful collegiate competition', I have to admit that I no
longer care less whether Florida State beats Florida
or UCLA beats USC.
It's totally an individual sport for me, and team scores are something that
is superimposed on the top of it for nothing more than provincial bragging
rights.  That's just the way it is, and I'm not really dissatisfied with it
that way.

RT

Randy-You and I will be track fans no matter how boring the sport becomes to
the average sports fan. And that average Joe is the dude we're trying to
court. Who goes to college meets? Friends, family and super nuts like you
and me. We need the average college sports fan, say a fan of Cal or
Stanford, to want to go to the Cal-Stanford dual even if he's not
necessarily a big track fan. At least Cal and Stanford have one dual on
their schedule! Not to pick on just these schools, but what about Arkansas,
LSU, Alabama, UTEP, etc. Who wants to go to their home meets?

I receive dozens of collegiate press releases each week. These are supposed
to make their way into local papers. Do you know what the headlines are? "4
Wildcats post provisional qualifiers." "Bulldogs show well at home meet."
"Tracksters qualify 3 more." Who gets excited about that?

Look, we're never going to get back to the days of 15,000 people at the
UCLA-USC dual meet, but we've got to do something to make track interesting
once again to the average fan. Regionals is at least a step in the right
direction. Harping on drug use and blaming them for the decline ain't
helping either.

sideshow