On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Emilie Laffray
<emilie.laff...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/1/19 David Earl <da...@frankieandshadow.com>
>>
>> In the case of Dutch cafe though, the word has been usurped for a
>> purpose other than its original French meaning (which is pretty much
>> universal I think - French cafes and English cafes are different in
>> character, sure, but they are all restaurants with a limited menu and
>> emphasis on soft and hot drinks, pastries and cold food, maybe not open
>> in the evening),
>
> I would be hard pressed to eat at a cafe in France. It usually doesn't serve
> any food, and they have an emphasis on serving alcohol. I guess they are not
> the same after all.

Hmmm... Then that's much closer to what I have called "cafe" after
all. In fact, I have used "emphasis on serving alcohol" upto now as a
sort of working definition for "bar". Maybe if the meaning of those
words is so different, I should not worry about it at all...

--
André Engels, andreeng...@gmail.com