On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:06 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Imagine a mechanism in your favourite editor when you can drag the
> "width" of the node outwards to match the width of the road, this then
> gets stored against the node information for the way.

Ah ok. Hmm, I'd prefer that the OSM way is the centerline of the
feature. This would mean:
1) the OSM way is consistently meaningful in itself, and matches current usage
2) you only have one width value per node, which might simplify editing.

But it seems like you're suggesting that the OSM way instead should represent:
a) if a oneway feature: the centerline
b) if a twoway feature: the divider between traffic travelling in each direction

Could work I guess...

>>> the thinner lines are lanes.
>>
>> Huh? Do they exist in the database? If so, as what?
>
> That's part of my goal with all this, to make them exist.
>
>>  <way id='-1' visible='true'>
>>    <nd ref='-1' width='50' lanes:left='2' lanes:right='3' />
>>    <nd ref='-2' width='40' lanes:left='2' lanes:right='2'  />
>>  </way>
>
> Or something to that effect.

Ah now I see what you mean. Can you add all of the necessary tags to
the example in your diagram? In particular:

1) please indicate the geometric interpretation of "width='50'" and
"width='40'"
2) write out the lane tags next to each node. I think you'll quickly
see that it's difficult to decide how many lanes:right the middle node
has, i.e. 2 or 3?