Try to see it from a data consumer point of view.

Let's say you are a bicycle routing engine and want to know if you are
allowed to drive here.
With the current scheme you see an access = no. so you assume you
don't have access.
Then you look if there are special permissions for bikes (because,
after all, you are a bike routing engine) and find nothing like
bicycle=yes.
So you know what to do: deny access.

With you proposal, you'll find no access = no (just a valid highway
tag). So you assume you are allowed there.
There is no other key for bikes. So how do you know bikes are not allowed?
You'll have to check every possible transportation mode, if maybe one
of them has EXCLUSIVE access to this stretch of road. Maybe psv? Maybe
hasmat? Who knows..
If you group this under a general key like exclusive_access= psv,
you'll at least have a chance (if something is listed, but it's not
bike, then deny access).
But you'll have to look for it for every d*** road there is, not just
those with access = no.

So in my opinion, there is no way around first specifying the general
case (access = no) and then the special case (psv=yes).

Regards,
Chaos