On 29/10/2012 18:29, Martin Vonwald (imagic) wrote:
Am 29.10.2012 um 14:27 schrieb Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de
<mailto:o...@tobias-knerr.de>>:

It is currently not valid - vehicle types can only appear in the key,
whereas "groups of users" (forestry, customers, delivery, ...) can only
appear in the value. For the "groups of users", it actually gives
exclusive access rights to that group.

That's how I understand it. Thanks for the confirmation.

I can imagine changing this if we find a nice definition. Of course
applications would not be compatible with that at first, but mappers
could simply refrain from using it excessively and limit the use to
lanes and similar cases where compatibility doesn't matter as much.

I'm afraid that we wouldn't get app-support for this. On the other hand
if mappers are forced to use a lot of tags simply to specify what kind
of vehicles are allowed for each lane, I believe most mappers will just
forget about it. It's not worth the hassle especially as in the
beginning no apps would support it. And as no-one maps it then why
should apps support it? That's one of the drawbacks of the
consumer-centered view: create theoretically perfect tagging schemes
that are wonderfully easy to process - and so hard to map that there's
no need to implement the processing because no one is using the scheme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Here is a simple proposal that avoids confusion with the existing access restrictions.

special_use_lanes = no | no | hgv

(or "special_use:lanes = .." to be consistent with other lanes tags)

Values can be 'no' (no special limitations apply to this lane), 'hgv', 'psv', 'hov' etc.

"special_use_lanes" is just a suggestion, other words not making an association to "access" could also be used. Other ideas: "special_lanes", "exclusive_use_lanes"

Would this be a useful way forward?

Ole / polderrunner