I'm against animal=shelter. As emerged in previous discussions, an animal is
not a shelter.
It exists amenity=animal_shelter [1] for large structures with a staff that
takes care of animals and that eventually heals them.
On taginfo already exists animal=shelter, and in many cases it has been used
to tag what now is tagged with amenity=animal_shelter. The migration is slow
because we have to check every single case.
For consistency with other shelter's tags [2], I would use:
amenity=shelter
shelter_type=field_shelter
The availability can be specified by access=* tags.
After all if you need a shelter against bad weather, you can use also a
field shelter, if it is accessible. In this sense consistency with
amenity=shelter tag is useful.
You should also update page on shelters [2] and on animals [3] when we'll
agree on field shelters' tagging.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Danimal_shelter
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shelter_type
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Animal