Murry McEntire <murry.mcentire@...> writes:

> I do see bakery (baked goods) and confectionery (candy, chocolates) and
the shops that sell them as very different so would never use the later for
any of the former.
<snip>
>Here (Western US), i usually do not first think of a bakery shop for bread,
but instead as one selling cakes, cookies, pastries, cupcakes, pies or a
combination thereof and maybe breads. We tend to call shops where mainly
bread is sold, bread stores; but I would still look under bakery in the
business directory for one. Here confectionery shops are more likely to sell
something like nuts or dried fruit with chocolates and/or candy than they
are to sell pastries. The few that do mix candy and pastries are also likely
to offer cakes, cupcakes, or cookies.
> Rather than push for shop=pastry it makes more sense to change the text on
the wiki to expand what bakery  stands for (and remove pastries from the
description of the confectionery).

I agree with you, for me do the value "bakery" well mean more than just
bread.
I am myself not comfortable with the word confectionary, but if it is a
usual english word I guess that could be used for everything selling candy
and all kinds of sweet things.

If I only had bakery and confectionary to choose from. I would put pastry
shops (and viennoiseries/konditorei/pâtisserie) as bakeries.

Chocolatiers, fudge boilers, nougat/marcipan-producers and makers of turkish
delights I would put as confectionary.

So let us expand the meaning of shop=bakery
and put the pastry-part of confectionaries as an (could also have..)

p.s.
and if there is interest I guess one then could proceed and distinguish
pastry shops as bread-less bakeries.
d.s.