* Murry McEntire <murry.mcent...@gmail.com> [130607 20:15]:
> [..]
> A summary as I understand it:

> We currently have English labels and definitions used for tags for bakery
> and confectionery that have language translation mismatches, especially
> based on common usage of the words.

> English cultures are comfortable using one term for shops of any type
> bakery goods (bakery), but continental Europeans are not. There may be
> regulatory reasons in Europe for not grouping them as a whole.

To broaden the perspective a bit:
All arabic countries that I have travelled to so far have the following
kinds of shop:
- shops that sell bread, often made on premises, and in a few cases also
  cookies and very simple kinds of pastry (basically sweet bread).
  If signs in english are used, these shops are signed as bakery
- shops that sell sweets but no cake, cookies or pastry
- small restaurants that offer (sweet) pastry, to eat in or take out, but
  nothing else (they never offer coffee or tea, so I wouldn't call them cafe)
- places that sell cakes and cookies (mostly takeout, no coffee etc.)
- places that sell coffee and tea, but usually no food. If there are signs
  in english, they usually read cafe or coffee shop

So, my conclusion here is that in the arabic world I would expect a bakery
to be a place selling mostly or only bread.

Wolfgang