Janko Mihelic' wrote:

    They're not necessarily service roads --- they don't have to lead to
    any premises at all; they're simply minor roads, usually unsealed.

Then maybe:
highway=unclassified  + unclassified=byway + surface=unpaved?
Or highway=road + road=byway + surface=unpaved.

Some (but very few) "BOAT"s near me say "service road" to you when you look at them; most just say "track" or even "bridleway". The only "unclassified" ones I can find are as a result of some newbie's* mapping and probably could benefit from a resurvey to see if they're best described as service roads or something else. I certainly wouldn't use highway=road if I'd been and had a look, as that implies that no survey has taken place.

Essentially - map the physical and legal attributes separately; but map both as accurately as you can.

Cheers,

Andy

* me, back in 2009.  The overpass query for info was:

<osm-script output="json" timeout="25">
  <!-- gather results -->
    <query type="way">
      <has-kv k="highway" v="unclassified"/>
      <has-kv k="designation" v="byway_open_to_all_traffic"/>
      <bbox-query {{bbox}}/>
    </query>
  <!-- print results -->
  <print mode="body"/>
  <recurse type="down"/>
  <print mode="skeleton" order="quadtile"/>
</osm-script>