Hi,  I wonder if this phrase without an explanation link
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source> contains appropriate
instructions (or just press news):
> *Since the introduction of changesets these tags are often added as
> changeset <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Changeset> tags rather
> than in the features themselves.*
It sounds like ("rather than") source tags in objects must now be
replaced by source tags in changesets.
While doing so may be appropriate to for huge bulk imports, I don't
think it's always, even generally, the case.

Suppose an osm file built from version 2014_04 of BusCo bus stops data.
The OSM contributors are invited to copy each object to OSM and to check
the data, esp. coordinates.
Should:

  * this file's objects contain source=BusCo 2014-04 (ISO date)
  * or the contributor be requested to add that tag to the changesets
    for each and every update

In the first case, the tagging will be done without mistakes and the
source will be very apparent on the main OSM Web map not only for the
reader to see but also for overpass to filter which data belongs to
BusCo and even which is not yet at the latest update.

In the mistake prone, second case, the mapper will be asked to force
himself in different updates for BusCo and for other necessary updates
that he will inevitably meet in the process, and the net result of that
hassle will be a misplaced source tag with regard to visibility and
overpass.

Which is the best method? Or is there another one?

I think that changeset source tagging is only appropriate to mechanical
imports and that the above phrase should say so or link to some reading
that does.
It seems strange to have to split updates one per object so that the
correct source tags are present on each when they could equivalently and
more appropriately be on the object itself.
Typical, compared to the variety of object source tags format, is this
scarce instruction in changeset
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Changeset>:

>   * source <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source>=* – specify
>     the source for a group of edits

Typically, "source for" does not say "source of" what.  Of the objects
or of the edits as a whole import?

Cheers,

André.