As somebody who participates in at least two outdoor activities in which
road conditions are an important comfort factor* (inline skating and
riding a road bike) it would be great to have a reasonably reliable
indication of what to expect on a certain road segment additionally to
the pure mechanical restrictions that can be indicated by the surface tag.

However the smoothness tag does not fulfil the role, its current
definition makes it not only subjective, it is explicitly dependent on
the skill level of the person surveying.

At best the extreme values are meaningful and I would suggest that the
value space at least be reduced (something along the lines of good, bad,
impassable) in any preset.

Simon

* comfort is not the same as "usable"