On 28/01/2015 8:41 PM, Rainer Fügenstein wrote:
Hello Warin,

W> Request For Discussion
W> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:substance

thanks for picking up thus topic. I have to leave in a few minutes for
a 6 week assignment, therefore only just a few words:

- my intention & impression was that - as of now - substance=* is a
tag to be chosen wisely (cough) by whoever needs it, but more
definition & structure is definitely a goal.

- I was thinking of a kind of "main type, sub type" scheme, i.e.

substance=fuel
substance:detailed=kerosine

substance=fuel
substance:detailed=diesel

substance=water
substance:detailed=drinking_water

etc.

cu

--- Je Suis Charlie

Have a good trip. In the mean time ...
More organisation with sub tags as I call them?
At a base physics level substance = solid, liquid, gas .. Don't know if that level of reduction is needed? And it would need the addition of slurry anyway! And I don't know of 'multiphase' (as in how to fit it in)?

So for natural gas worked out to that basic level, as one example, that would be
substance = gas
gas=fuel
fuel=natural_gas

None of this colon/semicolon business that has got people so worked up :)
And it may reduce the errors of tagging things like

substance=fuel
substance:detailed=drinking_water

And it too gets around drinking_water as that becomes
substance = liquid
liquid=water
water=drinking (or potable?)
Other ideas?  Kick them around guys.. brainstorm it.

Oh.. 'multiphase' is a mixture of gas, fuel and water as it comes out of some well heads (as stated on the wiki). Interested to see any ideas on a good tag for that .. nice puzzle that one. Maybe it is the physics tag of multiphase as in containg all the states of gas, liquid and solid. Fits... anyone know?