> On Apr 15, 2015, at 6:35 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bry...@obviously.com> wrote:
>
> But there are cases where the trail-head has a given and well known NAME.
> So far I generally tag that on the parking area, but parking is not
> necessarily a requirement for having a trailhead.

The easy definition is: A place where you you officially enter or exit a
wilderness area on a maintained trail or track *and* there is some kind of
allowance for switching modes of transportation.

even easier: If the purpose is to park your car there and then leave the area,
it is a trailhead. If the purpose is to park your car and stay there and have a
BBQ and play in the creek, it is a park.

There are named and unnamed trailheads, but any place you transition from
driving, street biking, or walking on a street/sidewalk to hiking in a
wilderness area  - that place where the transition takes place is a
entrance=trailhead.

To me, the easiest way to define a trailhead is a sign of some sort signed and
maintained trail junction to the normal transportation network, along with some
kind of parking area - a turnout, a small spot to get your car off the road, a
place to saddle a horse, a place to leave a car and unload a bicycle etc.  Up
from that is na information sign, nameboard (Wilderness park), paved parking
with driveways, water, bathrooms, staging area, and after that it turns into a
park - grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, etc.

This is why separating the actual entrance from the area is useful -

The trailhead might be “outside” the wilderness area - a large park, with
parking and amenities shared by the park; roadside parking;  a paved parking
lot with bathrooms and gate that separates the parking lot from the path
leading into the wilderness area.

That gate / trail start point - the entrance where the highway=service meets
highway=path (or track) is the entrance=trailhead, and the parking lot,
driveway, bathrooms, etc is leisure=trailhead on the area.

With some places, the “trailhead” is inside the park - it has a trashcan and a
signboard as you enter, and a gate from the path/track to the street.
The gate is entrance=trailhead, but there is no area - as there is no *special*
area for staging, BUT normal roadside parking is available. mapping the
amenities (Sign, trash can) are mapped normally.

Understanding the last bit - at least normal parking is available - is a great
definition for a trailhead.

One of the places I hiked in Japan had a large parking lot, but the trail
entrance was 200m down the road. there was absolutely no place to park at the
entrance=trailhead, though the leisure=trailhead had a lot of amenities nearby.
 You had to walk down the sidewalk, cross the street, and then start hiking.

http://www.gunmajet.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/photo_06-584x441.jpg
<http://www.gunmajet.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/photo_06-584x441.jpg>  The
“P” is the leisure=trailhead in the lower left. the green line meeting the road
at the bottom is the entrance=trailhead.

Javbw