> From this it sounds like this tagging in OSM is relying too much on
> official classification rather than on real road importance.

I have always maintained that this is the right way to do it.

Official classification is objective and easy to verify.

"real road importance" is purely subjective, open to argument, and
inconsistent.

I think that for any particular country, the official classification
hierarchy should be mapped on to the OSM hierarchy.  If this is not
sufficient for accurate routing then mappers should add more information,
such as lanes=*, maxspeed=*, width=*, traffic lights and so on.  Routers
can 'prefer' highways that are higher up in the hierarchy, and then
penalise sections of the routes that have narrow roads, fewer lanes, or
lower maxspeeds.

Best wishes,

Andrew