On 07/05/16 11:54, Andy Townsend wrote:
> The problem with answering Rory's original question directly is that in
> OSM we try and "map what's on the ground", and don't map stuff that's
> never going to happen (for example, if a village thinks that it'd be
> really nice if there was a bypass around it, but there's no concrete
> proposal, no funding and no likelihood of it happening, we don't map
> that bypass).  A number of territory claims are for national historic
> pride reasons only and are unlikely ever to result in any changes to
> actual administrative boundaries*.

I'm not suggesting mapping every little "someone in $COUNTRY thinks
$AREA should be in their country", I'm suggesting mapping areas which
governments claim. Imagine you had to make a map for the government of
$COUNTRY, and they required the borders to be one way. That's the kind
of thing that I think should be in OSM. You should be able to use OSM,
and only OSM, to make a map that is acceptable to any government.

Both of the example maps of Russia/Ukraine and India/Pakistan require
the use of another data set. Which is a shame. One should be able to
generate that from OSM entirely.

Rory