> I'm not suggesting mapping every little "someone in $COUNTRY thinks
> $AREA should be in their country", I'm suggesting mapping areas which
> governments claim. Imagine you had to make a map for the government of
> $COUNTRY, and they required the borders to be one way. That's the kind
> of thing that I think should be in OSM. You should be able to use OSM,
> and only OSM, to make a map that is acceptable to any government.

yes, (well, sometimes there might not be a government, or there might be
more than one group claiming power over the same area), still, also those
"official" disputes are not few, there's a lot of them, and we should have
a way to store them in a neutral way (i.e. have all different
claims/versions and let the people using the data decide which one to show).
For reference (might not be complete):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_disputes

Also this might be interesting, but isn't complete (because e.g. Germany
has dispute with the Netherlands about some maritime area, i.e. should be
red as well, but you already see it: almost every country has disputed
borders):
http://metrocosm.com/mapping-every-disputed-territory-in-the-world/

Cheers,
Martin