On 06-Nov-16 03:49 AM, Aun Johnsen wrote:
On Nov 5, 2016, at 14:37, tagging-requ...@openstreetmap.org wrote:

Dave F wrote:
What's the difference between 'de facto' & official?
Martin beat me to it, but let me add links for reference, definition
and examples.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_language
An official language is a language that is given a special legal status [...] the term
"official language" does not typically refer to the language used by a people
or country, but by its government.

from https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/de_facto, please appreciate the
provided sentence for use case.
Adjective. de facto ‎(not comparable)
In fact or in practice; in actual use or existence, regardless of official or
legal status.
(Often opposed to de jure.)
Although the United States currently has no official language, it is largely
monolingual with English being the de facto national language.
The contrary of 'de facto' is 'de jure'
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/de_jure
Adjective. de jure ‎(not comparable)
By right, in accordance with the law, legally.
Another good reading is the wikipedia page, particularly the
introduction at the top
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto
and the part on national languages, quite relevant here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto#National_languages

Wars have been fought over disagreements between "choices by local
community"
Indeed. And when it gets out of control, global community and DataWG
can intervene if necessary.

But that is not a reason, quite the contrary, to start another war
between local community and remote/global community. Especially when
there is no disagreement locally. Even more so when there was
disagreement locally and it is settled now.

-- altho
We could add (on any admin_level applicable) the tags official_languages (for
official languages) and de_facto_languages or common_languages for the de facto
languages in the area. This way, local communities that speak a different
language than the official language will be identified, and this can be
searchable in some way. I would suggest that ISO codes are used for the values
of these tags.

Example:
Norway: official_languages=no;nn
Due to the different dialects (no/nn), some (many) municipalities have chosen
one of these, admin_level=7 + official_language=no
Some municipalities have a significant Samii population speaking their Samii
dialect, and a number of these have included this in official languages (not
familiar with ISO code for the Samii dialects)

USA: common_languages=en, with certain areas having common_language=es, or
other that might be actual. Some native reserves would have
common_language={iso code of tribal language}

Any thoughts?

The ISO aus code may contain over 250 languages ... while many of these can be understood by their neighbours .. things do drift across the country. There maybe a need to have additions for these within OSM tagging in the future where more detail could be added to the map. See https://www.ethnologue.com/statistics/family I can find no code for these .. so at this time it may need to be stated as the actual language/tribe name where known e.g. name:aus:mindi=* I don't see this as having any impact on the present country name discussion, at least at the present level.